Saturday, February 20, 2010

Graffiti for Palestine

Logo Type v4

In 2004 I had done a short documentary project for Palestine while I was staying in Ripley, Tennessee. That was the first time that I was introduced to the subject by a friend from Memphis who is an activist. I started doing extensive research about the issue. The project did  not lead me anywhere because of the lack of funding. Nobody really care and perhaps I shared the same calamity as the Palestinians. My personal life did not get better either. It was one of my darkest moments.

Despite all that had happen I really cherish  those moments and I still kept a copy of the storyboard drawings with me. When I started the Palestine 3000 A.D. graphic novel project in Kuala Lumpur I put up the drawings back on the wall in my office. It brought back fond memories and every pencil stroke renders the moments of a forgotten place. It was an expression that can never be repeated. Right then I decided to design the poster with the emphasis on strokes. A graffiti of what I feel about Palestine. The red is obviously signifies blood. The blood of the victims and the martyrs. The earthly background tone signifies land which is what the conflict is all about.

The mood was set and my pen bleeds. With zero budget and creativity as my only weapon, Palestine 3000 A.D. is going to be my longest war.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment